Winter Warmer: get tips and advice to stay safe and warm this winter all in one place.
Help with money issues, keeping your home warm and staying safe this winter are just some of the areas of advice and support on offer at a special free event for people aged 55 and over living in Hackney Council homes.
Hackney Council’s hugely popular Winter Warmer is being held on Thursday 7 December at Hackney Church (St John-at-Hackney), Lower Clapton Road, between 11am –3pm.
As well as giving people the chance to meet old friends and make new ones, it also provides them with the opportunity to get information about the support available to them from the Council and a range of other agencies this winter all under one roof.
At the event people will be able to:
- speak to the Council’s housing repair team;
- find out how to get involved in their local community through the Council’s Resident Participation Team;
- get financial advice from the Council’s financial inclusion team and Money Hub;
- find out more about what is going on in the borough’s libraries and museums;
- learn how to prevent a fire in their home and what to do if one starts from London Fire Brigade;
- get information about the support available from and the initiatives run by a range of voluntary organisations like Hackney Council for Voluntary Services, RNID (Action on Hearing Loss), Shoreditch Trust and the Citizens Advice Bureau.
- enjoy free food, music and dancing, arts and crafts and free massages.
Among the other Council services that will be at the Winter Warmer will be Waste and Recycling Services and Homeownership Services. Trading Standards will be offering free testing for electrical blankets and portable heaters and anyone interested should call 020 8356 8559 to book a free test at the event.
This is one of the most eagerly anticipated events we hold. Last year around 650 enjoyed the first in person Winter Warmer we had held since the pandemic and I have no doubt just as many will be there this year.
We all know that the winter months can be very challenging for some people but there is a wide network of support available. This event is not just a fantastic way to find out more about the help on offer but also to showcase the wide array of activities on offer in Hackney for older people.
I would urge anyone aged 55 and over living in a Hackney Council home to ensure the Winter Warmer is in their diary as it is not to be missed.
Given the popularity of the event, anyone attending may find there is a queue to enter and are being reminded to ensure they wear suitable clothes for the weather conditions on the day.
For more information, residents over-55 should contact our Resident Participation team on 020 8356 7850 or by email email@example.com