Support your local high street as it reopens today
A practical package of support, guidance, promotion and grants is being delivered by the Council to help businesses as non-essential retail, personal care and outdoor hospitality venues reopen and welcome customers back today.
The support includes:
- Online reopening advice sessions for businesses
- Advice on protecting staff and customers from Covid-19
- Helping businesses apply to use their outdoor space for al fresco dining
- Free advertising through our shop local campaign
- Distributing more than £16 million to businesses through the new Restart Grants
Hackney is home to thousands of fantastic small independent businesses, they don’t just serve our communities, they are an essential part of them, and one of the key reasons Hackney is such a great place to live and work.
I encourage all residents to use our online business directory to discover the products and services available in the borough, take advantage of having these incredible businesses on your doorstep and make shopping local your first choice. It’s vital we do everything we can to protect our small businesses
Hackney is a place in which thousands of jobs depend on the hospitality sector and the Council is committed to helping those industries to reopen safely and successfully. The new al fresco dining guide for businesses provides advice on how restaurants, cafes and bars can use their outside space to accommodate customers, reducing the potential transmission of coronavirus and setting out the most appropriate licence for their business. More than 270 applications for Pavement and Shop Front licences have been approved over the last year and it is hoped the guidance, alongside Council Officers working closely with businesses, will facilitate the approval of many more over the coming months.
Hundreds of businesses have told the Council directly and through surveys that they have faced a difficult year with almost 3,000 forced to close temporarily as a result of lockdown restrictions, leaving many without any income for months on end.
Here’s how the Council has supported local businesses during the pandemic:
- Rolled out £124 million in business grants
- Awarded £82 million in business rate relief
- Visited more than 2,700 businesses to provide advice on covid-secure working
- Approved 271 Shop Front and Pavement Licences
- Launched the Love Hackney Shop Local campaign and business directory showcasing more than 450 businesses
- Provided 121 support for businesses in Council-owned properties including rent-free and rent deferral periods
- Developed a bespoke package of support for Market Traders in the borough
- Hosted 14 online business forums, attended by more than 700 businesses, sent out 52 Hackney Business Network newsletters and launched the new Hackney Business Network website which provides news, opportunities and guidance for all businesses in the borough
- Launched the new Hackney Nights portal for night-time venues, providing support to reopen and training on key night-time safety issues
The Council continues to play a crucial role in supporting local businesses through the pandemic and preparing for the reopening of all our industries over the coming weeks. Businesses can visit the Council website or our dedicated business portal for advice, information and support.