Summer programme of free and low cost events to help young people engage with the arts and kickstart a creative career
Young people in the borough have a chance to explore the arts, and take their first step towards a career in the creative sector, by signing up for events included in this summer’s Discover Young Hackney annual youth arts and culture programme.
The line-up of activities, led by industry professionals, offers young people from 13 to 19, and up to 25 with SEND valuable experience in a wide range of creative art forms such as music, dance, theatre, film, photography and fashion. This year's programme, which takes place throughout August, offers a variety of exciting activities and workshops, including:
- Hackney Empire - Gain production skills and/or join a choir and perform in front of a live audience
- Hackney Shed - Create your own piece of theatre around the theme Limitless
- Chats Palace Arts Centre - An introduction into the world of fashion photography
- Children With Voices - Three-day taster sessions in film, sustainable fashion and music production
- Anna Fiorentini Performing Arts School - Audition technique workshops for TV & film
- Immediate Theatre - Theatre production and digital content
- The Yard Theatre - Design a new creative careers scheme for you and your peers
- Shakespeare Walk Adventure Playground - Explore 32 art, music, skateboarding and SEN play sessions including entrepreneurship, the basics of skateboarding & more
- Hackney Showroom - A beginner’s guide to DJing for Girls, including beat-mixing on CDs, USB or vinyl. Plus a week of workshops to learn printmaking techniques and explore ideas around protest, activism, slogans and protest imagery.
Hackney has steadily built a reputation as the creative heart of London and developed a strong legacy for nurturing new talent.
Offering experiences across a range of creative industries, including performance, visual arts, design and media, the Discover Young Hackney programme opens the door for young residents to explore the arts and provides great opportunities for the next generation to discover new interests or develop new skills.
Notes to editors
Sign up for the Discover Young Hackney event programme opens today (Friday 1 July) and includes activities from 11 different local organisations running throughout August.