Springfield Park event launches Hackney’s Platinum Jubilee weekend celebrations
The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee bank holiday weekend celebrations will begin in Hackney on Thursday 2 June with a family-friendly event at Springfield Park to commemorate the completion of the park’s restoration project.
The Springfield Park Celebration will see a host of free activities throughout the day for all the family, including arts and crafts workshops, live music, poetry readings, sports sessions and history walks. The event marks the 70th year of the Queen’s reign as well as the completed refurbishment of Springfield House, the opening of a new play area for children and the new Glass House venue.
The activities which run from 10am to 5pm are free, with some needing to be booked in advance via the QR codes or by visiting www.hackney.gov.uk/springfield-park. Register online to receive reminders and updates on activities being added, including:
- Costume making, face painting, dancing and drumming workshops with non-profit art and education organisation Taru Arts
- Immersive guided history tours of Springfield Park to learn about the park’s fascinating past
- Bunting design workshops to create a unique, one-off print using fresh cuttings from the grounds of the park
- Tree walks around Springfield Park to learn about the park’s wide range of flora
- Tennis sessions for adults, children and beginners
- Paddlesport sessions and narrowboat trips throughout the day, open to anyone aged 8 and above
- Live music from the Grand Union Orchestra on the Jubilee Bandstand all afternoon
- Behind the scenes tours of the restoration project with the Springfield Park User Group
The Jubilee celebrations will continue across Hackney over the bank holiday weekend with more than 30 Big Jubilee Lunch events supported by the Council, including barbecues, picnics, celebration meals, dance workshops, live music, a bouncy castle and a dog show.
It’s fantastic to be able to celebrate both the completion of the restoration project and the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee with one big special Hackney family event in Springfield Park to launch the bank holiday weekend. The event will offer something for the whole family and will mark the fantastic new investment and facilities in the Park, as well as Her Majesty’s 70 years of service, in style.
I hope that this event brings all our local communities together to celebrate what is an unprecedented anniversary. Make sure you claim your free ticket in advance to attend. I look forward to seeing you there.
Notes to editors
Springfield Park was officially opened to the public in 1905, and holds a Green Flag award, given to the best green spaces in the country. The £4.1 million restoration project at Springfield Park was made possible by investment secured from the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Visit https://hackney.gov.uk/springfield-park for information about the Springfield Park restoration project.
Register for your free ticket to the Springfield Park Jubilee Celebration here: