New dates added for TEDx at Hackney Libraries
A new series of inspirational talks from TEDx chosen by local residents will be screened at Hackney libraries from this month.
A new selection of TEDx talks will be screened at Hackney libraries from 22 October featuring talks from leading global speakers, sparking discussion and the sharing of ideas amongst people who live in the borough.
Following the screenings that have already been shown as part of the TEDxHackneyCouncilLibraries events, local participants were given the opportunity to choose themes for the next series of events from the TED archive of over a 1,900 online talks from across globe.
Each event will feature two pre-recorded talks on a set theme, each screening is introduced by a host who will then lead a group discussion after both films giving the audience an opportunity to share their thoughts on the topics. They are free events for ages 13 years and over.
Following the popularity of the first selection of screenings, some of events will be taking place in the evening to give as many residents the opportunity to view a TEDx talk and take part in the discussions.New dates, times and talk topics include:
- Thursday 22 October, 2-4pm: A different kind of power, Dalston CLR James Library
- Wednesday 4 November, 6-8pm: Happiness is…?, Dalston CLR James Library
- Friday 6 November, 2-4pm: Death – Inevitable but taboo, Homerton Library
- Wednesday 18 November, 2-4pm: How social is social media?, Homerton Library
- Thursday 26 November, 2-4pm: Feminism and masculinity, Dalston CLR James Library
- Tuesday 1 December, 6-8pm: Playing with perceptions, Dalston CLR James Library
- Friday 4 December, 2-4pm: So What about Faith?, Homerton Library
- Wednesday 16 December, 2-4pm: The importance of memory and stories, Dalston CLR James Library
TED is an initiative (founded by the not for profit Sapling Foundation) that aims to spread ideas usually in the form of short talks of 18 minutes or less. Starting in 1984, TED today covers topics in more than 100 languages with TEDx events helping to share ideas in communities from around the world. In 2012, TED Talks celebrated its one billionth video view.
It was great! I loved the content and I found it extremely useful with a good group discussion and the host was wonderful at facilitating. I look forward to more TEDx screenings, I’ll be inviting my friends and neighbours to come and share the experience with me.
Local people who have already taken part have really engaged with the discussion topics from TEDx at our libraries, making friends along the way and talking about the screenings after the events finished. Local participants have chosen a range a real-life topics from global experts that will generate some great discussions with fellow residents new to TEDx. All of the events are free so visit a library and get inspired by TEDx this winter.