Don’t let winter stop you cycling with Hackney Cycle Pit Stops
Winter is coming, the clocks have gone back and the days are shorter. But that’s no reason to stop cycling. With a few simple and cheap modifications you can enjoy cycling all year round.
Cycling in winter weather isn’t so daunting when you realise that, on average, London commuters get rained on just 12 times a year. Cycling is great exercise, so you’ll soon warm up on those bright chilly mornings. A pair of gloves and some thick socks will help keep your extremities warm.
When cycling after dark, a white front and red rear light are legally required, even if there is street lighting. Use your lights at dusk and in bad weather too to ensure you can be seen.
Hackney Council are here to help you smoothly transition to winter riding with our Cycle Pit Stop events. Look out for these fun themed pop up events around the borough, where you can:
- Get your bike checked for free by a mechanic to make sure it’s in good condition to ride
- Pick up free bike lights and reflective gear
- Get your bike security marked by the police to deter theft
Ride in and meet us on:
- 10 November 4pm - 7pm Junction of Pitfield and Hoxton Street
- 27 November 4pm - 7pm Hackney Town Hall
- 15 December 4pm - 7pm Martello Street
As winter draws in cyclists should take advantage of these events offering free bike checks and expert advice. It’s so simple to cycle in Hackney all year round and I encourage everyone to make use of these free events. Hackney Council is committed to supporting all those who live, work or study in Hackney to travel greener.