Changes to Hackney Central bus routes
A new way
To help boost Hackney Central and breathe new life into its high street, the Narrow Way at the north end of Mare Street will become a pedestrianised area from Saturday 15 June.
Hackney Council along with Transport for London trialling the changes for a six month period to see what affect re-routing buses and giving priority to pedestrians and cyclists has on the area.
Changes have been made to the following bus routes:
- Routes 38, 48, 55, 106, 242 (24 hour), 253, 254, 394, N38 and N55 will no longer travel southbound (towards Shoreditch, Bethnal Green and Dalston) on the Narrow Way and will be re-routed via Dalston Lane, Pembury Corner and Amhurst Road. Northbound services (towards Clapton and Homerton) will be unaffected
- Route W15 will no longer serve Amhurst Road, Dalston Lane or the Narrow Way. Its last stop will be Hackney Town Hall and the first stop (towards Leyton) will be Morning Lane by Tesco
- Route D6 will terminate at Ash Grove (Mare Street by Victoria Park Road). Routes 48, 55, 106 and 254 provide alternatives along Mare Street
- Routes 30 and 276 are unaffected.
What bus stops will be affected and where can I get my bus?
- The main change is that the existing stop in the Narrow Way (opposite Marks and Spencer's) will be closed. All southbound buses will stop on Amhurst Road at one of the two stops either side of Brett Road
- All northbound buses on Amhurst Road will stop at a larger combined stop just north of the Hackney Central Station Car park
- A new southbound stop will be in place on Dalston Lane near to Pembury corner allowing interchange with Hackney Downs Station
There will be teams of volunteers on hand to help people find their new stops and hand out information to passengers and pedestrians this Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
We want to hear the views of residents and businesses on the changes: complete this survey.