New covid-19 variant identified in Haringey
A new covid-19 variant was identified this week in Haringey. In order to help Public Health England determine how far – if at all – the variant has spread, Haringey Council have been asked by the Government to carry out further testing in the Tottenham Hale area.
We are aware that a new variant of coronavirus has been identified in Haringey. We want to reassure residents that Haringey Council is handling the situation through community testing in the area.
For our residents there is no additional public health risk, but everyone must adhere to lockdown rules and if you do have to leave home during lockdown for work or volunteering then you should be getting a rapid test at least once a week at one of our 3 local centres. And if you have symptoms of coronavirus then to book a test by calling 119 or going to nhs.uk/coronavirus to visit one of the 5 symptomatic testing sites in Hackney.
Testing if you've got symptoms
If you have coronavirus symptoms, even mild ones, you must isolate yourself immediately from other people for 10 days and get a test, online at nhs.uk/coronavirus, by downloading the NHS COVID-19 app, or by calling 119.
What are coronavirus symptoms?
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
You can book a home test kit or arrange an appointment at one of Hackney’s testing sites:
- Dalston, Bentley Road Car Park, N1 4BZ (open 7 days a week 8am-8pm)
- Hackney Central, Mare Street, E9 6ND (open 7 days a week 8am-8pm)
- Stamford Hill, Former Bus Garage, Rookwood Rd, London N16 6SD (open 7 days a week 8am-8pm)
- Homerton, Hackney Marshes Centre, E9 5PF (open 5 days a week Mon-Fri 9am-3.30pm)
- Stamford Hill, Yesodey Hatorah School, Egerton Rd, N16 6UB (Sundays 10am-3pm)
There are also 2 testing centres nearby that residents can use:
- Stamford Hill Primary Nursery Berkeley Rd, Haringey N15 6HD (7 days 8am-8pm)
- Guild Hall Yard, City of London, EC2V 5AA (7 days 8am-8pm)
Testing if you don’t have symptoms
Rapid COVID-19 tests provide results on the same day and are for people who do not have symptoms of coronavirus.
These tests are aimed at those who need to leave their home for work or volunteering, such as people who are critical workers, unpaid carers or tradespeople. If people are required to be in contact with others for work or volunteering throughout the week, then rapid testing once a week is recommended.
There are two rapid coronavirus testing sites in Hackney:
- 18 Edward’s Lane, Stoke Newington, N16 0JJ
- Shellgrove Community Hall 29-8 Shellgrove Rd, Dalston N16 8UU
- Maurice Bishop House, 17 Reading Lane, Hackney Central, E8 1HH
You can book an appointment for these sites online by clicking under book a rapid test at: hackney.gov.uk/coronavirus-support