Know your consumer rights
With the Christmas shopping season nearly upon us, the Council’s trading standards team is reminding residents and local businesses about new laws which give them more rights when giving and receiving gifts.
The new Consumer Rights Act came into force last month. Key changes include:
* Returns and refunds – if an item breaks within 30 days, the buyer can now demand a no-quibble refund.
* Digital content rights – The new legislation sets out for the first time you rights when you buy digital content such as music and film downloads. It must be as described and if an item falls below expectation, the new rights are enforceable against the retailer, rather than the developer.
* Delivery rights – The retailer is now responsible for goods until they are in your physical possession; they are responsible for the service provided by a courier. This means they can no longer blame the delivery company if something is damaged. Unless an extended date was agreed at the time of purchase, retailers have to deliver goods within 30 days. If they do not, buyers have a right to a full refund.
* Failed repairs – After one failed attempt by the retailer to repair or replace a faulty item, you are entitled to a refund, price reduction or another repair or replacement at no cost.
* Unfair contract terms – The key terms of a contract could be assessed for fairness unless they’re both prominent and transparent.
It’s important that shoppers and businesses alike understand the impact of these new laws. The new laws cover digital purchases and delivery rights, as these areas of the retail industry continue to grow.
Christmas is a very busy time for our trading standards team, as they work hard to ensure that residents get what they bargained for when they part with their hard earned cash, so these new rules should really help to spell out what shoppers can expect from retailer.
On Friday 6 November Hackney’s Trading Standards Team will be in the foyer of Tesco in Morning Lane from 10.30am to 1pm. They will be on hand to answer any consumer related questions.
For advice on consumer rights you can contact Hackney Council’s trading standards team on 020 8356 4929 or email@example.com>