Hoxton Street is ready for an arts and culture filled Summer Fair
The Hoxton Street Summer Fair is getting ready to make a return and this year it is looking bigger than ever with a wealth of activities bringing the Hoxton Street Market, local communities and residents of all ages together for a massive arts party!
The Summer Fair runs from 11am-5pm on Saturday 12 August in venues all along Hoxton Street, including the market. See the full programme here.
Over 15 different groups, organisations, artists and community members are joining up to host a range of activities, including:
- “Write a letter to a Monster!” workshops, hosted by The Ministry of Stories
- Zine making workshops, exploring the history of community action for childcare in Hackney, led by PEER Gallery
- Circus performances and workshops, run by the National Centre for Circus Arts, Split Second and Brain Fools
- A music stage featuring performances by young local musicians
- Art and design workshops from BOP Hub
- Dance and pottery workshops, hosted by Clod Ensemble and Troy Town Art Pottery
- A dance party at Hoxton Hall, including swing and vogue
- A “Little Mermaid” workshop with some of the cast of this year’s panto at Hoxton Hall
- Free face painting, a local henna artist, and photo booth, hosted by the Hackney Markets Team
- An opportunity to meet local firefighters from the Shoreditch Fire Brigade
We feel very lucky to be able to partner with Hackney’s Regeneration, Cultural Development and Markets teams on such an important event for the local community. We have two wonderful producers, Pembe Tokluhan and Helen Mugridge, with experience of leading outdoor events and festivals who are creating a lively and engaging day for everyone!
Through events such as this, the groundbreaking Shoreditch and Hoxton Art Fund has enabled artists and cultural organisations to connect residents with a changing neighbourhood, brought about by significant cultural and economic investment over the last 15 years. I urge everyone to attend this year's Fair and see local people and arts groups join together to deliver a fantastic fun-filled day of events and activities for all to enjoy.
The Hoxton Street Summer Fair is a fantastic occasion that brings residents together, celebrates the diversity of communities in the borough, and showcases some of our great market traders here in Hackney. This family-friendly event will be packed with lots of fun activities and entertainment, including fairground rides, face-painting, henna art, a photobooth, and live music from Hoxton Radio. I hope lots of residents can come along and join the fun.
The Hoxton Street Summer Fair is co-produced by Hoxton Street Market and Hoxton Hall, with support from Hackney’s Shoreditch and Hoxton Art Fund and the Hackney Markets Team.