Car club launched for wheelchair users
Hackney Community Transport and Hackney Council have launched one of the first accessible car clubs in London. Car clubs are popular in the borough with 260 vehicles already in place. The new accessible vehicle opens this offer to provide flexible, private hire for wheelchair users.
The wheelchair accessible vehicle, located on Sheep Lane close to London Fields, is designed to accommodate one passenger in a wheelchair and up to three other passengers not including the driver.
The vehicle is available to hire from as little as half a day, for appointments or short excursions, to full weeks for holidays or family visits. Drivers will require training by Hackney Community Transport, and must provide their driving license as well as identification before being able to hire a vehicle.
Although the service has been designed for those who use wheelchairs, it is not obligatory to hire the vehicle for wheelchair users only. Hirers do need to be a member of Hackney CarClub.The benefits of CarClub are:
- Flexible alternative to taxis or minibus hire
- FREE membership and training for the first 25 members
- One-off £10 membership fee (after first 25 sign ups)
- Specially converted vehicle to be able to carry wheelchair users in comfort
- Flexible hire arrangements and periods
- Wheelchair clamps provided
- Return the vehicle back to the same bay - no need to worry about finding a parking space
We want all of our residents to be able to travel easily and in an environmentally friendly way within the borough and beyond. Sharing access to vehicles helps to make Hackney greener, and keeps costs down for users. The new accessible car club is a great benefit to the borough and I look forward to seeing it put to use making private transport for wheelchair users more easily available.